The Graphis magazine writes about design and advertising. The first issue of the Graphis magazine was released in Zurich as long ago as 1944, when it was created by Walter Herdeg. In the first decades, the magazine owed its success to the importance of Switzerland as the world designer Mecca of the time. In 1986 its owner became Martin B. Pedersen, who moved the head office to New York.
Not long ago, after the 355th issue of the magazine, Graphis limited its issues to annuals and monographs from the domain of graphic design, advertising, photography and illustration and its contents have been selected through annual competitions. Today, the old annuals of Graphis are one of the most important sources of information on big-time achievements of graphic design from the pre-digital era and the old copies of the magazine have become collectors’ objects of desire. Since 2009, Graphis has been released in three separate publications – for design, advertising and photography.
Until now, at the Graphis competitions we have been awarded prizes 4 times for advertising, 4 times for design, 4 times for annual reports and 3 times for posters; recently we won the awards for the newspaper ad Underwater graveyard (2009) and for the Igepa Calendar (2009).